In human beings, jowls are considered to be excess skin or saggy skin on the neck right below the chin and jawline. Almost all of us develop at least minor jowls as we grow in age and the skin becomes less elastic.
Also, there are several factors which cause the occurring of jowls including stress, heredity, lifestyle choice, repetitive facial habits, and many more. These factors can cause jowls at any age and at any time.
Right in this article, You will learn about what causes jowls, what are the treatments of jowls, and how you can get to prevent jowls from occurring in the future.
So, without wasting even a single second, let’s get started.
What Causes Jowls?
Aging is one of the main causes of jowls. As one gets older, the skin starts to lose its collagen and elasticity which are very important for the skin.
The two proteins collagen and elastic are very vital for the skin. They help in keeping the skin firm and smooth or taut.
When this happens, the skin starts to go downwards in gravitational pull. In the jawline area, this tends to manifest itself in the pouches of flesh which is referred to as jowls.
Some traits and characteristics run in the family and may be caused due to the same.
One of the reasons that you have jowls may be because people in your family might have the same.
This is the reasons that jowls appear so early on your face. If your parents or elders have mandibles, then it is an excellent possibility that you might also have it.
3. Sun Damage
The sun is not only the source of Vitamin D but comes with some deadly effects. Of course, all of us enjoy having a great day outside in the sun and take a sunbath and get a nice tan.
However, the harmful UV rays of the sun may harm you a lot as well. if you are having excessive exposure to the sun, it may play an important role in developing of saggy jowls.
Also, you are spending hours outside on hot sunny days; then jowls may definitely target you. In the long term, exposing yourself to sun rays can be quite harmful.
4. Weight loss
Weight loss is one of the most important causes which can result in jowls.
With weight loss, you can see fat reduction throughout the end areas of your face.
Therefore, weight loss will leave you to have loose skin in the jawline area which indirectly shows in the jowls as well as the neck.
5. Working for long on a computer screen
According to a study conducted in the UK, a London based cosmetic surgeon Dr. Michael Prager said that working for long hours on the computer screen will put on the risk of having jowls.
Due to long hours of working on the computer, saggy jowls, which is also known as second neck or turkey neck may develop.
Some people may describe it as having premature signs of aging just like wrinkles and fine lines.
Smoking can also make jowls sag faster. Cigarette smoke consists of nicotine and along with that many more harmful chemicals as well.
These chemicals fasten the process of aging which damages the collagen and elastin.
Also, such narrow the blood vessels in the skin and also hamper the circulation of blood.
As a result, the skin gets deprived of various essential nutrients that are important for protection from skin damage. Example: Vitamin A.
Other than these major causes, there are many other causes as well which may intrigue the same. Some of the major reasons for the same are mentioned below:
Other Causes of Jowls
2. Excessive use of alcohol
3. Severe or chronic dehydration
4. Consuming diet which is low in antioxidants, healthy fats, as well as other nutrients
5. Expressions or habits which overuse the same facial muscles of cheek, mouth, as well. Actions which cause the same include, chewing of gum, talking on a cell phone for a long time, frowning, and many more.
6. Allergens which may harm the skin including cosmetics, air pollutants, and more.
7. Lack of exercise
8. Having poor skin hygiene
9. Physical injury or trauma which may affect the facial and muscles of jaw and skin
10. Chronic or severe illness
How to Tighten Jowls?
Well, Jowls can make you look aged despite your age not being much. So, it is important for you to get rid of jowls as soon as you can.
There are various surgical treatments which can help in reducing jowls. However, getting under the needle for a pit cause is not a good idea.
Also, they can even have harmful long-term effects on your skin. Thus, it is always advisable that you try facial exercises for jowls as they will help you get rid of jowls naturally.
How to Reduce Jowls Naturally?
Exercises for jowls are the best treatment for sagging neck and jowls. It is always a great way to reduce jowls naturally whereas you will not have to go for surgical treatments.
Here are some of the best exercises for jowls which you can quickly try at home and get results which will definitely surprise you.
Exercises for Jowls
1. Chin Tilt Exercise and Turkey Neck
credits: MakeUp and Beaty
Chin tilt is one of those exercises which works fast.
It will firm your muscles in the neck and face area. You will also notice that your face will lift naturally without surgery. Below is how you can get rid of jowls with chin tilt exercise.
- All you have to do is sit straight with your lips enclosed.
- Then you have to point your chin up till your neck muscles get tight. Then you have to extend your lips to the furthest point it can go.
- Remain in the same position for about 5 seconds. Repeat the same for about five times each day.
2. Massage Facial Exercise for Jowls
- Tighten the edges of your mouth and start to pull your cheeks back.
- Then go downwards a bit. This will make you feel that your lips have tightened. While you are still in the same position, start massaging your muscles of jawline from the outwards center of the mouth.
- Repeat the same exercise for about five times, and you can repeat five sets of the same each day and even more.
3. Cow Face Jowl Exercise
The name of this exercise may sound funny. However, you will be surprised to know that making a face like a cow can help in tightening of muscles.
This is one of the best ways in which you can correct your facial posture without having to take any kind of surgery.
- Open your mouth a little for this exercise.
- Then just your lower jaw and extend it as much as you can. Then move your head to the left side and also lower your front teeth.
- Make sure teeth are positioned over the upper front teeth. Along with that stretch your right arm.
Then your raise head upwards towards the ceiling and stay in the same position for about five to ten seconds. Then relax your jaw and keep your arm in the same position. Repeat the same process again for about three times.
You can also increase the time for each subsequent exercise rep if you want to. You can also switch sides.
4. Yawn Double Chin and Sagging Jowl Exercise
As the name says, this facial exercise revolves around the jowls exercising with yawning. However, it is not as effective as will not only help to reduce the appearance of jowls but also it will help in reducing wrinkles and turkey neck.
- In this exercise, you have to turn your chin upward towards the ceiling.
- Stretch your open mouth in the same way you are yawning. Also, close your mouth for a count of 20. However, do not close it entirely so that your lower and upper teeth are joined.
- Repeat the same exercise for about three times daily, and this sagging jowl exercise will help you get rid of it without surgery.
Wrapping Things Up
Apart from the above tips and exercises, there are also a few makeup tricks which you can use for making your jowl look invisible. However, that might not be permanent. So, exercises are much needed for this.
To prevent the same, always make sure you eat you take breaks when using a computer. Always apply a sunscreen. Practice these facial exercises as well quite a few times in the day.
Moisturization and massage is the key. Remember to do the same during the day at least twice so that your face remains in shape. Also, have a healthy diet which is rich in all essential nutrients.
Lastly, try to avoid smoking and over-consumption of alcohol. With that said, these are some of the best home remedies for the reduction in jowls on the neck.